Growing Pains: Every year, private financial support becomes increasingly critical for public schools like Ravenswood. Why? Many public schools rely upon substantial discretionary funding from the state and federal governments, linked to enrollment demographics, to help fill budgetary shortfalls not covered by the school district. As community interest in a school continues to grow, as it has at Ravenswood, the school’s enrollment demographics frequently change, often resulting in a decrease in discretionary funding. This means that supplemental funding sources must be found (or created) in order to sustain and expand the quality of educational programming. This is where Friends of Ravenswood School (FORS) comes in–and where YOU can help.
FORS provides crucial financial support for Ravenswood School through a wide array of events and other initiatives. Events like the Spring Forward charity auction, the Ravenswood Ram-Page adult dodgeball tournament, and numerous social events take place throughout the year. All of these events are made possible through the dedication and commitment of FORS volunteers, who give their time, energy and personal resources to make these events a reality. Your participation in these events–by creating, planning, or simply participating–is of critical importance to the continued success of FORS fundraising efforts. This is an area where YOU can help directly to support Ravenswood School.
FORS’ financial goal for 2012-2013 is to raise about $100,000, primarily for the benefit of the fine and performing arts department at Ravenswoood School. FORS’ fundraising efforts are vital in Ravenswood’s ability to offer art, music and drama instruction to all Ravenswood students, as well as provide the equipment and supplies needed for a rich arts experience. FORS also helps to provide funding and resources to support technology, small equipment and material needs in other departments around the school. Your cash donation helps Ravenswood School and FORS ensure that Ravenswood students will continue to experience the benefits of one of the top arts education programs in Chicago Public Schools.
- $25 helps gym teacher Jeff Switzer buy two new kick balls or basketballs.
- $50 buys a wireless keyboard for the iPads we currently have, to allow students to conduct research at their desks or in groups and to reinforce math skills.
- $65 provides one of Ravenswood’s 25 teachers with a small pot of “creativity” money to develop innovative new classroom projects (without taking it out of their own pockets.)
- $100 buys three square feet of a new mosaic on the South playground wall, mosaic on the two large planters along Montrose Ave. at Paulina St., or a single mosaic “winter garden flower” along the Paulina St. fenced-in gardens—all to be designed and created by our students working with teachers and local artists.
- $800 buys an iPad and associated cart to be shared by each grade.
- $1,000 covers one week of music classes and instruments for 471 students. Friends of Ravenswood School (FORS) covers half the cost of our wonderful full-time music teacher.
Friends of Ravenswood School is recognized as a non-profit 501(c)3 corporation by the Internal Revenue Services. Donations to FORS are tax deductible as allowed by law. Donations that include the donor’s name and address will be acknowledged with tax-appropriate documentation. Download the IRS 501c3 tax-exempt letter from the IRS.
In addition to its own fundraising events and efforts, FORS also supports and encourages participation in other programs that directly benefit the school, such as DonorsChoose.org, Shop for Ravenswood and Dine for Ravenswood programs.